Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Plague of Doves-Louise Erdrich


Plague of Doves-Louise Erdrich

such striking cover art

the facts
satisfaction: up
pages: 311
gender: F
nationality: USA, Chippewa
year: 2008
Novel

The unsolved murder of a farm family still haunts the white small town of Pluto, North Dakota, generations after the vengeance exacted and the distortions of fact transformed the lives of Ojibwe living on the nearby reservation. 

Given that this book elevated Erdrich into my favorite authors list, it should be no surprise that I want to just gush about it. The problem with Erdrich is that I can't really do her justice. There's little I can definitively say about the book that sticks out as why you should read her. I loved it, as a whole and nothing stuck out as specifically amazing...it was as a whole, amazing to read.

I love her different viewpoints-the different ethnically distinct voices full of off hand references to their own cultures that makes them seem the more real. I never feel so fake as when I have to stop and explain the offhand references to my own cultural background and so I love how Erdrich doesn't tell you but rather shows you the context in which her characters are talking and moving in.

I also love how bits and parts can seem super random in terms of a coherent whole (so maybe you're reading a short story) but then get pulled into a messy but understandable conclusion. Her books are almost like detective stories in which there are clues in every anecdote and character but it isn't until the end that all those clues get pulled together.

I recommend this as thinking fiction from unusual viewpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment