Thursday, October 18, 2012

Twisted Window-Lois Duncan

The Twisted Window-Lois Duncan

the facts
satisfaction: side
pages: 172
gender: F
nationality: USA
year: 1987
YA Novel

When Brad tells Tracy that his little sister Mindy has been kidnapped by his stepfather, she promises to help him locate the child. Tracy is moved by Brad's story and defiant of the aunt and uncle she has lived with ever since her mother was stabbed to death. They find the toddler Brad is searching for, and Tracy arranges to baby-sit for Mindy, then turn her over to Brad.

So there are lots of spoilers online for this book-watch out for those but in a way, it's difficult not to give it all away. It's a suspense thriller and there are twists and turns almost every chapter. Duncan never lies to you but rather jumps to conclusions that are in the wrong direction.

I don't know, I found myself tired of all the twists and turns midway through-I mean that some of the twists didn't seem to need to be twists at all. I had my suspicions of what was going on way earlier than Duncan wanted me to which made it all seem strangely simplistic despite the complexity of the narration. Part of the complexity was the shifting point of view between characters which struck me as a too obvious plot device that often didn't really move the plot along and thus was a too simplistic way of conveying information.

Ok, now that I've been Miss Negative over here, I have to applaud Duncan for not giving into what must have been a temptation to give you one of those wrap up chapters. This is something Duncan does super well and I'm glad her style stayed true. This is also a very nonjudgmental book- there's no stigmatizing language or behavior which is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment