Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Library Loot

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries!

library loot June 12 to 18 from Teresa Silva on Vimeo.

Listen to me speak and watch me make weird faces? Library Loot-I tried to keep on topic but I wandered off into academic trauma and totally went on about Manuel Rivas.


Books Mentioned:
non-fiction:
Anatomy of a Moment-Javier Cercas
Scandilicious Baking- Signe Johansen
Giving Up the Ghost-Hilary Mantel
Confronting the Classics-Mary Beard
Consciousness Harnessed to Flesh-Susan Sontag
This Will Make You Smarter-ed. John Brockman

fiction:
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil- John Berendt
Bonfire of the Vanities-Tom Wolfe
Museum of Innocence-Orhan Pamuk
Space Between Us- Thrity Umrigar
Feast of the Goat- Mario Vargas Llosa
Umbrella-Will Self
All is Silence-Manuel Rivas

Covers



2 comments:

  1. Great video Teresa, dangerous for the TBR list, but Rivas sounds special and can't wait to hear how you like this latest one. I'm going to look up Into the Wilderness now, very intrigued.

    I've read 4 Pamuk's, most recently his Memoir of a City: Istanbul which I enjoyed, all his works are very different from each other and the picture book of his Museum of Innocence might interest you as well. He tests the reader's own endurance with the length and duration of his obsession(sorry book), so it will be interesting to see what you make of it.

    Thanks for sharing your library loot, it has the same effect as that shelving job you mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for watching Claire!
    I'm kind of an evangelist for Rivas but most of my friends are like "oh I don't read fiction" or "that doesn't sound like there are dragons in it" so I proclaim my love on the internet. I'm glad to know that I do make him sound intriguing.

    I'd heard that about Pamuk-I have a fairly good tolerance for fiction that goes on and on if its well written so I'm hoping I'll make it through.

    ReplyDelete