Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Inconvenient Indian-Thomas King

An Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America-Thomas King

the facts
satisfaction: Up
pages: 268
gender: M
nationality: USA (Cherokee)
year: 2013
Non-fiction

The Inconvenient Indian is at once a “history” and the complete subversion of a history—in short, a critical and personal meditation that the remarkable Thomas King has conducted over the past 50 years about what it means to be “Indian” in North America.

It's unfortunately difficult for me to obtain King outside of the US so this is my first King and it's non-fiction not the fiction he's known for. However, there is such a distinct voice that I presume is King and he's everywhere in this book. I thought I had a decent grasp of Native American history but I was surprised at just how many treaties have been violated and how Canada has repeated so many of the US's mistakes (why Canada, why?!). Yet despite the anger, King inserts so much humor that you want to keep on reading. This never feels like a slog, it feels like a story that is being told (but one that is real). King tackles history from the individual story to the tribal level to the nation to the federal level without ever losing sight of his objective. There is a wryness that is not unwarranted. 

I want everyone to read this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment