Thursday, December 26, 2013

Disappearance of Lizzy Ross-Jessica Schein

The Disappearance of Lizzy Ross-Jessica Schein

the facts
satisfaction: side/down
pages: 120
gender: F
nationality: USA
year: 2013
Novella (Series)

Mimi Lerner and Lizzy Ross have been best friends since high school began and now, as seniors, they've made big plans together—from a trip to the Bahamas only months away to going to college the following year and ruling it like they do high school. But when Lizzy goes MIA after a party Mimi throws at a posh Manhattan hotel, everything is suddenly up in the air and Mimi must face facts: Lizzy Ross may not be the girl she knew, and the life she thought she'd have is going in a very different direction. 

What an incredibly spoiled protagonist! It was the point, I know, but I really didn't care for it. I mean, I finished the novella (grateful for its short length) and was hit with the question of “what was the point of that?”. There's no resolution and I now know it's the beginning of a trilogy which makes it all a bit more hard to understand. Why start the trilogy with such an unrelateable character that made the book seem a bit like the cry of The Rich Have Problems Too! That is a message, I am wholly uninterested in hearing as it has no originality and is incredibly, unreflectively privileged in a way guaranteed to make those without such privilege see red. This book was essentially page after page of Mimi moaning about her next fix or about her twisted relationship. I gave it credit for really bringing to life a character I had such strong feelings of hate for but in the end, I have no idea what the purpose of this was.

No comments:

Post a Comment