Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Obstacles to Young Love-David Nobbs

Obstacles to Young Love-David Nobbs

the facts
satisfaction: side/down
pages: 422
gender: M
nationality: UK
year: 2010
Novel

From one of the greatest comedic writers of a generation comes a story of love, faith and taxidermy. 'Three mighty obstacles threaten the burgeoning love of childhood sweethearts Timothy Pickering and Naomi Walls. They are Steven Venables, a dead curlew and God.'

Oh Nobbs, I've tried, I've tried to like you as a writer-so many people tell me how much they enjoy your books but I can't. Where to start? The predictable, the painfully predictable, plot? The dull, almost trite writing style? The more I think about it, the more I want to change this book's rating to just down. I spent most of the book being like OH! GET ON WITH IT! Because really? More than 10 'coincidences', oh wow, it was meant to be! Well, obviously.
Ergh, I have better books on my to-read list...though I also have worse so my conclusion is just ambivalence.

No comments:

Post a Comment