Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Diary of an Unsmug Married-Polly James

Diary of an Unsmug Married-Polly James

the facts
satisfaction: up/side
pages: 400
gender: F
nationality: UK
year: 2014
novel

Meet Molly Bennett. Married to Max and mother to two warring teenagers, she’s just ‘celebrated’ a significant birthday. Bridget Jones would call Molly a “smug married”. So why doesn’t she feel it?


Ok, I was not at all expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. Being someone not usually drawn to the women's lit style of Bridget Jones's Diary, I questioned why on earth I had downloaded a book named from Bridget Jones....Once I got a few chapters in and read around the overwhelming concerns about wrinkles and aging and the almost hysterical way of approaching life that, to me, consists of overreactions, I realized that this book had a lot to offer. I think primarily it was her job. She was not actually frivolous or promoting a privileged lifestyle (unlike many of her women's lit peers) despite her overreaction to everything, but rather there was genuine comedy. Her job is hilarious (working for the local MP) as she has to deal with all the nutters that those who work in public service will undoubtedly recognize and forms this chaotic background to her attempts to find romance within (as well as out of?) her marriage. I was distracted from my disdain to find a remarkably entertaining novel. Well done.

Read for the Eclectic Reader Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment