Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Me Since You-Laura Wiess

Me Since You-Laura Wiess

the facts
satisfaction: up
pages: 368
gender: F
nationality: USA
year: 2014
YA novel

Before and After. That’s how Rowan Areno sees her life now. Before: she was a normal sixteen-year-old—a little too sheltered by her police officer father and her mother. After: everything she once believed has been destroyed in the wake of a shattering tragedy, and every day is there to be survived.

I did not get what I was expecting from this book-instead I got a realistic punch in the gut story about grief and mourning. One that I accidentally read on the anniversary of my own father's death and consequently I cried for several hours. It was quite cathartic and I owe it to Wiess's fully realistic and well written exploration of her characters' grief. Everyone's grief is highly personal (and people do stupid/self-serving things as part of grief and Rowan is no exception) but there is something universal to loss and mourning that when written so clearly and so well, it's impossible not to see yourself in it.

There's also some lead in where you get used to Wiess's writing style and get to know Rowan. The love interest is not the main plot of the novel which I really liked given that YA tends to be heavy on the romance WHILE grieving which has long struck me as too much going on based on my own experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment