Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The Outcast Dead-Elly Griffiths

The Outcast Dead-Elly Griffiths

the facts
satisfaction: side
pages: 384
gender: F
nationality: UK
year: 2014
novel in a series

Forensic archaeologist Ruth Galloway uncovers the bones of a Victorian murderess while a baby snatcher threatens modern-day Norfolk in this exciting new entry in a beloved series.

I did not really get into this thriller as a horror/thriller I feel it was supposed to be. Maybe it is that I'm childfree by choice but I never really got into the whole horror of almost losing a child and the whole thing seemed a bit melodramatic. I don't mean to say that I didn't care if the police found the children in time or not but rather that it did not make me feel viscerally.

I however deeply enjoyed the recasting of (the fictional) Mother Hook. It was a lovely feminist reinterpretation of a too-familiar (despite being fictional) trope of the grotesque subversion of motherhood/femineity. The archaeology is comical with the juxtaposition of the TV idea of archaeology (and its entertainment value) and the actual academics involved. As someone who has witnessed something similar in two different countries, I found myself chuckling left and right.


So despite that the thriller/horror did not work on me, it still worked very well as a novel full of good characters, humor for those in the know, and feminism.

No comments:

Post a Comment