Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Fever-Megan Abbott

The Fever-Megan Abbott

the facts
satisfaction: side/up
pages: 320
gender: F
nationality: USA
year: 2014
novel

he Nash family is close-knit. Tom is a popular teacher, father of two teens: Eli, a hocky star and girl magnet, and his sister Deenie, a diligent student. Their seeming stability, however, is thrown into chaos when Deenie's best friend is struck by a terrifying, unexplained seizure in class. Rumors of a hazardous outbreak spread through the family, school and community. As hysteria and contagion swell, a series of tightly held secrets emerges, threatening to unravel friendships, families and the town's fragile idea of security. 

Well, I found it to be a very well-written, creepy book. Abbott writes teenage girls like they are. I was a teenage girl not long ago and this was...very close to my own suburban teenagehood. Maybe that's what made it so creepy. Or maybe it was the sparse but evocative descriptive prose that oozed anxiety. I was mesmerized while reading it-I couldn't tear myself away. It managed to be both confused and hazy and absolutely pitch dark.


But then I finished it and...I felt like something I can't explain let it down. It was like there was something just slightly beyond what Abbott did that would have made it a better book. It sounds arrogant since I can't even begin to say what it was but I felt like I suddenly surfaced from a trance and ended the novel ambivalent.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same feeling about this one as I did with another one of hers, The End of Everything. Great writing, she perfectly captures teens, but I just didn't love either novel and I can't explain why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little disappointed-she has so many groupies it seems

      Delete