Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Best of Us-Sarah Pekkanen

The Best of Us-Sarah Pekkanen

the facts
satisfaction: side
pages: 338
gender: F
nationality: USA
year: 2013
novel

Four women and their husbands go on an all-paid vacation to Jamaica. The various burdens the women have get exposed and run their course during the week.

I didn’t really read the synopsis thoroughly enough before requesting it because I was expecting a bit of a thriller/mystery. Not this character-driven novel. The characters- trophy wife, woman struggling to handle too many children, etc-are stereotypes. The romance was a bit….also archetypical-the infatuation, the struggling marriage on the cusp of divorce, the superficial ‘affection’ etc. There was also no real setting-it was a bit of a generic beach. I definitely was not the target audience for this sort of plot. I was kept reading by an eye for detail and the characters did grow but in the end I just had to conclude that it was not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment