Tuesday, September 2, 2014

John Dreamer-Elise Celine

John Dreamer-Elise Celine

the facts
satisfaction: down
pages: 203
gender: F
nationality: UK
year: 2014
novel

A bunch of people end up in a white room filled with personalized chairs. A guardian tests them and then fulfills their dreams.




This had such an interesting and promising premise but it ending up being a bit too pat in execution. The prose was so tell not show that there felt like there was no characterization and no real plot. I cared so little about these people that their ‘traumas’ and the situations they overcame to fulfill their dreams impacted me not one bit. I didn’t care or want these people to get their dreams fulfilled because they were utter strangers. And then the people we did get to know a little better, the main character, and her insta-lover were such cliches that it was difficult to imagine that the others were not as well. I think it was really a combination of completely uninspired writing style and the too-lightness of the book. The ending was, quite possibly, the sappiest I’ve read this year. I mean, the book had promise-I detected influences of Willy Wonka (in the Guardian) and the NY trilogy but it fell so short. I was also a little irked by the lack of connection of the photographs (which were nice ones) to the text which also made it lose a lot of potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment