Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Accident-C.L. Taylor

The Accident-C.L.Taylor

the facts
satisfaction: side/down
pages: 404
gender: F
nationality: UK
year: 2014
novel


After her daughter ends up in a coma, Sue attempts to find out why.


I spent most of this book feeling like I must lack empathy/maternal instincts because Sue was so incomprehensible to me. I felt like this novel ended up being one, far, far, far, too long panic attack for the woman. I kept putting it down because her hysteria was so completely irritating AND shooting herself in the foot. I mean, she spends half of the novel shrieking shrillingly questions at people. It is like the least effective investigative technique to be hysterical and shrieking. No one is going to feel comfortable telling you things you don’t want to hear if you begin  the conversation already on such a panicked edge. Her suspicion felt completely unreasonable and this is from the perspective of first person! She made everything so much harder than it warranted and so I spent almost the whole book wondering why I was supposed to care. I ended up not grasping any menace and though I recognized that parts were supposed to be chilling, they passed me by. The only thing that horrified me about this novel was how little Sue could make the people around her believe her thanks to the stigma of mental illness. But then again, I can picture her in my head and I end up not blaming them.


Goodness, this review makes me feel like a bad person.

No comments:

Post a Comment