Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Opposite of Loneliness-Marina Keegan

Opposite of Loneliness-Marina Keegan

the facts
satisfaction: down/side
pages: 240
gender: female
nationality: USA
year: 2014
essays and short stories

A disparate collection of prose and essays from a young writer who died at 23.


I was left feeling like this meant much more to people who knew Marina Keegan than it did to me. There were moments of good reading but I feel this way about the internet in general. Otherwise, much of the collection read like I was back in my undergraduate, copyediting for the creative writing workshops-i.e. unpolished beginning experiments in a writer’s life. And so, it felt more like a memorial for a young woman lucky enough to have tremendous contacts through the Yale network rather than something I felt like it was necessary to have read. And so I unfortunately felt like the true tragedy was not that she died so young (though, that is a tragedy but unfortunately one that fells millions of promising people every day) but rather that she will be remembered primarily because she died young, not because of her talent/promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment