Thursday, April 2, 2015

Meatspace-Nikesh Shukla

Meatspace-Nikesh Shukla
the facts
satisfaction: up
pages: 300
gender: M
nationality: UK
year: 2014
novel
Kitab Balasubramanyam is obsessed with the internet. His real life is not going well so he focuses on his cyberself. A doppelganger shows up, another Kitab Balasubramanyam, who insists on being in his life.


Well, the protagonist, Kitab, is like an alien to me. I understood his references, the internet, etc but it was such an extreme that I was incredulous for a good half of this book. This obsession, this disconnection from meatspace he displays seems like a caricature and frustrated me. I guess, I am much more like Mitch, a guy determined to live in meatspace only. And yet, Shukla writes so wittily, and it was so funny I kept going. And I'm ever so glad I did because I grew to really like Kitab. I was rooting for him when Kitab 2 shows up and 'ruins' his internet reputation. I was a little glad because it did force Kitab to grow up away from his obsession and it reveals a much more fascinating facet to his personality which made him less of a caricature in hindsight. Well-written novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment