Thursday, April 9, 2015

The True Splendid History of the Harristown Sisters-Michelle Louric

True Splendid History of the Harristown Sisters-Michelle Louric
the facts
satisfaction: up
pages: 466
gender: F
nationality: UK
year: 2014
novel
Seven sisters escape their poverty through the stage-specifically their long locks of hair.

What a surprise. I didn't really expect to enjoy this as much as I did. I mean, the oldest sister, Darcy, is one of the meanest and most horrible characters I've read in awhile who was not a murderer. The story is the eroticism of long hair (note that I wear my hair long-to my waist-and thus am tired of the eroticism of hair) and the exploitation of young uneducated. And I still enjoyed it? Maybe it was Manticory-the main narrator- and her charm and her own arc of overcoming the obstacles. This story is finely crafted with a turn of phrase that is occasionally outright arresting. Wrapped up in this fine language is a rural Irishness, the mix of the bawdy, crushing poverty, and repressive Catholicism which is a bit like presenting chicken as pheasant but Louric pulls it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment