Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Mira Corpora-Jeff Jackson

Mira Corpora-Jeff Jackson
the facts
satisfaction: up/side
pages: 182
gender: M
nationality: USA
year: 2013
novel
An unusual take on the coming-of-age novel featuring feral children and an underground music scene.
Let me start by just noting that I had no real idea what I was reading sometimes. How did I get here? I asked myself. I was reminded at times of my reaction the first time I watched Jarman's Jubilee-there's the same scorched earth at the point of earthquake policy between the two. It's difficult to get a good grasp on what is going on because everything is changing so quickly and no one has all the information or facts anyway. A very riotous bildungstrom bound up in the chaos of its punkrock sensibility. It's quite brilliant really-one of the most interesting novels I've read in awhile-a visceral attempt to capture the dark and dirty business of understanding what cannot be understood (why am /I/ here?) and Jackson's prose propels you through the strange surreal scenes into the final scenes. I don't know, I saw much of my own teenage years and those of my peers in here and it evoked all those memories of all the dark basement shows I've ever been to so I guess it spoke to me in ways I didn't particularly want to revisit?

It's a hard read to recommend! But I do anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment