Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Good bye 2015! Hello 2016!

In 2015, I read 127 (as opposed to 146 and 110) books but many were very long giving me an average of 327 pages per book. I am still quite reliant on galleys so 2010 was still heavy but I did discover elending so I have a better chronological spread. The gender balance is quite equal which actually makes me a little sad-perhaps I shall hand in my feminist membership card. However, 23% of the authors from USA and UK were people of color which is definitely a happier situation for me. I visited 29 countries and read 16% in translation so I'm also getting more varied in that way-slowly but surely? Though there is a terrifying lack of anything in Latin America-something that will definitely need to be rectified in 2016! Anyhow, most excitingly I did so stupendously better at finishing non fiction! 19% and no archaeological books are counted in that! Wow.



Not At All in Order-Best Books of 2015:
The Devil's Detective-Simon Kurt Unsworth
Raven's Head-Karen Maitland
Who Fears Death- Nnedi Okorafor
Young Babylon-Lu Nei
I Am Radar-Reif Larsen
Annihilation-Jeff Vandermeer
Uprooted-Naomi Novik
Ties that Bind-Sarah Schulman
Complications-Atul Gawande
Etta and Otto and Russell and James-Emma Hooper

hardest to read: This Life-Karel Schoeman and Cancer Ward-Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn were endurance trials

No comments:

Post a Comment