Thursday, March 10, 2016

Furiously Happy-Jenny Lawson

Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things-Jenny Lawson

the facts
satisfaction: up
pages: 329
gender: F
nationality: USA
year: 2016
memoir

A memoir about mental illness.


I have never heard of Jenny Lawson. I've never read her blog and had no idea that she had multiple books. I was simply intrigued by "an uplifting memoir about depression."
Well, I was unprepared.
Lawson writes like someone who speaks a million words a minute and this energy pretty much bounces out of the page as she discusses lots of taxidermy and recounts lots of dialog and anecdotes that really made me kind of wonder about the true state of her marriage. This does read like a blog-a strong personal voice and irreverent adherence to rules of narrative. I enjoyed it. In the end, I did wonder whether it was all written from the manic side of depression. Though Lawson does confront her depression directly, the taxidermy raccoon got more screen time for a memoir ostensibly about mental illness. I do get it though, Lawson's point is that even though depression does drag you down, that simply means you have to make sure your ups are very up, very full of joy. Zany joy in Lawson's case. The hyperbole got to me sometimes as did the "crazy" and the "disorders have disorders" thing. But that didn't really matter so much because Lawson is so true to herself, she grabs your metaphorical hand and gets you to run along with her.

Even though I'd probably be hanging out with Victor, her too-serious husband, in real life despite my own anxieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment