Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Breeder-K.B. Hoyle

Breeder-K.B. Hoyle

the facts
satisfaction: up
pages: 379
gender: F
nationality: USA
year: 2014
YA series

Seventeen is genetically perfect and living in a lab where her life is also perfect. Except it's not and a man named Pax shows her that.


I’m doing something I really shouldn’t do. I’m reviewing the first in a series while reading the second. Why am I breaking my own self-imposed rule? Because I really can’t believe I didn’t immediately review this book!
It’s easy to feel burnt out by the glut of YA dystopian books/series that are now out on the market even for a dystopia fan like myself. The blurb for this one sounded like the setting was heavily borrowed from Atwood but the plot promised seemed interesting so I gave it a chance.

Good thing I did. This is such a well done plot. There are twists and turns and unreliable sources of information and you speed along enjoying the ride. It gets very fast at the end and then leaves you teetering at the edge of a cliff, priming you for the second book, but I can’t hold that against this book somehow. Pria is a strong heroine but not superhuman, she remains human. Pax can seem a bit ‘too good’ at times but Hoyle writes her characters in a way that they are not peripheral to the plot. Sure there is a lot of action but the novel still reads like a character study. Delightfully, there is no “insta-love”. And yet, Hoyle also doesn’t skimp on the world building. There is real science mixed in there and a realistic feeling world to go along with the strong characterization and riveting plot. Basically, I consider this to be the whole package in terms of YA dystopias.

The second book, Criminal, releases soon so better read Breeder to get ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment