Thursday, October 13, 2016

Not Working-Lisa Owens

Not Working-Lisa Owens

the facts
satisfaction: side
pages: 256
gender: F
nationality: UK
year: 2016
novel

Claire has quit her office job in order to get a job she genuinely likes. This is not too easy.


Well, listen. Claire is not a lovable character. She has a singular lack of self-awareness and really needs to face up to her privilege. Seriously, she needs to check herself here. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this book as a bit of light-hearted humor. This is written mostly like "chick-lit"-the perfect boyfriend, the parents, the general stable upper middle-class lifestyle, quirky/awkward narrator etc. But Owens handles this well with a wit and humor that resonated with me. Many of the things that Claire goes through, I also went through during the period of unemployment in my life so that probably contributes to my enjoyment of the book. Reading her fall into some of the same pitfalls and obstacles (and fail) was admittedly quite enjoyable. The style was also unusual for the genre-short and sweet anecdotes ranging in topics and never too long before we jump to anything else. If I were reading this for character development or whatever, this style wouldn't have been good but I found it perfect for my attention span and the character. Had they been longer I likely would have spent a lot more time despising Claire rather than the time I spent laughing at/with her. Not too bad for a quick, effortless read.

No comments:

Post a Comment